JOB DETAILS: Exempt: Yes FTE: 1.0 (40 hours/week) Schedule: Day/Evening Rotation/every 4th weekend On Call: No
Cone Health is seeking a highly motivated clinical Pharmacist with a focus in Cardiology patient care. Successful candidates will maintain a cardiology focused clinical practice and actively contribute to the continuity of care for designated cardiology patient populations as they transition between inpatient and outpatient care services. This position is accountable for the management of all aspects of medication-use processes, including but not necessarily limited to, the following:
Interpret and verify the appropriateness of provider entered medication orders according to individualized patient needs.
Manage drug regimens by approved protocols in consultation with the medical staff.
Prepare and dispense medications efficiently following existing standards of practice and the organization’s policies and procedures.
Demonstrate ownership for the welfare of the patient by performing medication related patient education, reconciliation, and assistance with optimizing the patient’s drug regimen prior to discharge.
Monitor cardiology outpatient drug therapies and billing procedures when appropriate to ensure the best care possible is being given.
Conduct / provide interdisciplinary and pharmacy department medication related education.
Supervise pharmacy technicians in all pharmacy related activities.
Participate in the training and development of staff.
This clinician will facilitate medication therapy and pharmacy services provided to their care areas and design best practice programs to collaboratively support direct patient-centered care and integrated pharmacy operations
The major work activities of this position include, but are not limited to:
1. Promotes optimal medication therapies, utilizes drug dosing protocols, and provides consultations upon the patient, a physician or physician extender request.
2. Effectively supervises and evaluates Pharmacy Technicians in all pharmacy related activities.
3. Provides medication related information to healthcare professionals, patients, and the public. Conducts medication utilization evaluations or assists with formulary management through the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
Promotes timely and accurate in-patient and/or outpatient medication processing and distribution. Takes responsibility for all issues related to processing/billing, distribution, and pharmacy technology.
5. Serves as a preceptor and role model for all pharmacy staff including students, fellows, residents, technicians, and pharmacists. Takes responsibility for personal and professional growth by seeking out and participating in training and development activities. Completes all required competencies and computer based learning modules.
6. Demonstrates ownership for the welfare of the patient by managing transitions of care for patients from the acute to ambulatory care setting and vice versa.
7. Serves as a scholarly expert while providing interdisciplinary and pharmacy department medication related education in associated disease state therapies.
8. Demonstrates the ability to design, collect and report out (e.g., dashboard) on a consistent basis data/metrics for the cardiology service line.
9. Assists physicians with the implementation of investigational drug protocols that may be undertaken to serve the cardiology patients.
10. Participates in professional associations and actively contribute to the literature through publications, presentations, and the education of the community on disease state management.
EDUCATION: BS Pharmacy or PharmD degree required; PharmD degree preferred
Experience in patient assessment and dispensing required.
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency accredited by ASHP.
ASHP Accredited PGY2 Cardiology residency or equivalent work experience.
Current active license to practice pharmacy in North Carolina preferred.
If not currently licensed, must be eligible to obtain North Carolina pharmacy license within 2 months of hire date.
MAJOR WORK ACTIVITIES:
Analyzes and promotes optimal medication therapies 20 %
Supervises and evaluates the activities of Pharmacy Technicians in filling of medication orders for inpatient and outpatient services 20 %
Provides and monitors drug utilization and medication related information to healthcare professionals, patients and the public. 20 %
Utilizes drug dosing protocols, medication reviews and consultations upon physician request. 20 %
Serves as a preceptor and role model for all pharmacy staff including students, fellows, residents, and pharmacists. 20 %
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: * Annual flu shot * Annual TB test (if applicable to your job location) * Annual HLCs (Healthstream, formerly CBL)-Safety at Work and CorporateCompliance * Maintain licensure/certification/registry/listing (if applicable to your job)
ABOUT CONE HEALTH: Cone Health is a state of the art network of facilities providing patientsaccess to the latest developments in medical care from their first moments oflife through later years. Our network offers the most breakthrough treatmentsand technology available in healthcare today. As a teaching hospital, we offeremployees the opportunity to become leaders in the industry and continuedgrowth from their first day on. Extraordinary patient care is about being“high-touch” as well as “high-tech”. Community service and superior patientcare are the cornerstones of our organization, a philosophy that isdemonstrated by each and every one of our valued team members. We are proud tobe the largest private, not-for-profit employer of choice in the Piedmont, NCarea community. Additionally, as one of the region’s largest and mostcomprehensive health networks, Cone Health has more than 100 locations,including six hospitals, three ambulatory care centers, three outpatientsurgery centers, four urgent care centers, a retirement community, and morethan 100 physician practice sites. Our tagline – “The Network for ExceptionalCare” – highlights our commitment to excellence, which is shared by our morethan 11,000 employees, 1,300 physicians and 1,200 volunteers.
Cone Health is an equal opportunity employer. If you require assistance with our online job submission process, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at 866-266-3767 to request an accommodation.
Internal Number: 2502
About Cone Health
Cone Health is a not-for-profit network of health care providers serving people in Guilford, Forsyth, Rockingham, Alamance, Randolph, Caswell and surrounding counties. Our tagline – “The Network for Exceptional Care” – highlights our commitment to excellence, which is shared by our more than 11,000 employees, 1,300 physicians and 1,200 volunteers.As one of the region’s largest and most comprehensive health networks, Cone Health has more than 100 locations, including six hospitals, three ambulatory care centers, three outpatient surgery centers, four urgent care centers, a retirement community, more than 75 physician practice sites and multiple centers of excellence.