Under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, assist in the various activities of the pharmacy department.Â Assist in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the drug inventory and maintenance of records. Performs in accordance with standard written procedures, guidelines and state and federal regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Procures and distributes drug orders per physician request, pharmacist request or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures and protocols, and within specified time frame.
2. Maintains a working knowledge of all aspects in pharmacy services, including but not limited to: Drug names and classification, medication order and prescription interpretation, prescription computer order entry, pharmaceutical calculations, medication error prevention methods.
3. Maintains a working knowledge of the general chemical and physical properties of drugs handled in the pharmacy department.Â This includes but is not limited to, identifying medications that are light sensitive, requires refrigeration, are caustic, or poisonous.Â Is able to use reference books to locate stability information or material safety data sheets.
4. Carries out the calculations required for the usual dosage determinations and solutions preparation using weight and volume equivalents in both the metric and apothecary systems.
5. Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and maintains records as required by law.Â Collects data, conducts inspections and maintains logs and other documentation as assigned.